Services for not-for-profit organisations
Pensions are a pressing issue for not for profit organisations
Many not-for-profit employers view pensions as instrumental in the battle to recruit talented employees. They believe that staff wellbeing is central to their positive role in society – with pensions playing an important part.
But as scheme contributions increase and budgets tighten, many in the not for profit sector are forced to balance their pension provision against the organisation’s core mission.
At First Actuarial, we support not-for-profit organisations through scheme changes, helping them give their valued staff the best possible pensions.
First Actuarial offers not for profit pensions expertise
We have specialist teams in a number of not-for-profit areas, ready to help you face the challenges of pension scheme changes.
Increasing deficits in multi-employer schemes are forcing many housing associations to rethink their pension provision. First Actuarial is the UK’s leading pensions service provider in social housing. We cover the sector’s main pension arrangements – SHPS, LGPS, Growth Plan and Group Personal Pensions (GPPs).
A combination of legislative change and pension fund deficits is hitting the sector, increasing employer costs and intensifying risk. At First Actuarial, we work with a growing number of independent schools, helping them plan early for cost increases and manage risks to their staff pension schemes.
Every Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) valuation seems to deliver worse figures than the previous one. If your organisation participates in the LGPS, we can advise you on the costs and risks of participating in the LGPS. We can also guide you through admission agreements, funding strategies and termination debt policies.
Trade unions are in the front line of pension provision, defending members’ interests when schemes change. We are prominent advisers to trade unions, and our clients include the TUC. We worked with the CWU on a new scheme design for postal workers, and with UCU on the USS pension scheme.
First Actuarial helps charities to strike the right balance between pension benefits and charitable aims. We work with charities of all sizes. We support charities’ DB and DC pension arrangements, as well as multi-employer DB schemes. We also provide investment advice for charitable endowments.
First Actuarial is the independent actuarial adviser to the Scheme Advisory Board of the NHS Pension Scheme. We help individual trusts promote the value of NHS Pension Scheme membership, and guide consultants and senior managers through the complexities of pension tax allowances.
Why choose First Actuarial?
- We are a leading provider of pensions advice to the not-for-profit sector. We offer considerable experience of supporting not-for-profit organisations and their pension scheme members through change.
- We offer an appropriate mix of actuarial, administration and investment advice, infused with our in-depth knowledge of the not-for-profit sector.
- We help organisations struggling with the challenges of multi-employer schemes, such as the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), the Teachers’ Pension Scheme (TPS) and the Social Housing Pension Scheme (SHPS). We work with trade unions tackle the pensions issues their members face. And we advise on the tax issues confronting NHS employees.
- We also work with both employers and trustees of individual pension schemes.
- We put people first. We give clients face-to-face advice and support at every stage of our work.
- We deliver cost control and value for money. We are transparent and fair on fees, and where possible we charge on an agreed fixed-fee basis.
I would definitely recommend working with First Actuarial. Their consultants went over and above the call of duty to make sure the project progressed smoothly. In all areas – overall project and strategy scoping, defined contribution scheme and investment fund advice – the support has been exemplary.
– Claire Beesley, Project Manager, RSPB